Monday, October 27, 2008

I knew John McCain. Senator, you're no John McCain.

Anyone who knows me knows that I tend to align my views on the left side of the political aisle. I voted for Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama for president. That being said, partisan bickering and the deeply entrenched two party system in this country absolutely disgusts me. Our leaders in Washington rarely make decisions in our best interest. Rather, politicians toe their respective party lines, cozy up to lobbyists and special interests, and only worry about their constituents when they are trying to get re-elected. I don't believe Democrats are any less guilty of this than Republicans are.

However, one politician seemed to at least be trying to rise above all that. When I truly started paying attention to politics in the late 90's, John McCain really stood out to me. He seemed genuinely interested in reaching across party lines to get things done. Even my liberal political science professors at CU seemed impressed by him, citing things such as McCain's alliance with Democrat Russ Feingold to pass campaign finance reform. I remember he was even being mentioned as a possible running mate for John Kerry in 2004. Certainly McCain was a Republican and a conservative, but I was extremely impressed by his apparent willingness and desire to ignore party affiliation in order to get things done. In a political climate that bred bitter hostility between Republicans and Democrats, John McCain really seemed to be living up to his maverick label that he clings to so dearly today. Back then, I remember thinking that he was a Republican I could see myself for some day.

This respect that I once had for John McCain only makes the man I see today all the more frustrating and disappointing. While his politics have certainly shifted far right in an attempt to appeal to the Republican base, it's the disintegration of his morals and decency that I find the most disgusting. He attacked Barack Obama for his lack of experience and celebrity-like popularity, only to choose a running mate who isn't qualified to run a Starbucks, much less America. He attacked George W. Bush for using robo calls in the 2000 primary, only to use exactly the same dirty tactic against Obama in this election. In the last few weeks, McCain has relentlessly tried to make voters believe that Obama has terrorists ties and is trying to rig the election. His running mate has even been giving speeches at rallies in which she claims their supporters are part of the "real America." These rallies have also been incredibly frightening due to blatantly ignorant and blatantly dangerous words shouted by many of his supporters. Neither McCain nor Palin have tried to stop this hate speech, claiming that every candidate has some "fringe" supporters. I guess McCain realizes that voters don't want another four years of the same failed leadership, so he figured his best chance of winning is to paint Obama as un-American, a cheater, and a terrorist. The John McCain I used to know would not stoop to these disgusting stunts to win an election. I can't even recall seeing a McCain TV ad that wasn't partially or completely an attack on Obama. Attack ads are a part of any election and Obama has used them too, but John McCain has taken it to a whole new level.

Anyone who closely follows politics in America today has to be at least a little jaded. The vast majority of politicians blindly follow their party, viciously attack the opposing party, and do anything and everything to get elected. Actually helping the American people is usually an afterthought. I thought John McCain was different. I thought John McCain was a "maverick." I still cling to hope that should be be elected president and he no longer has to win over voters, he will revert to the good man I thought I knew. More than that though, I hope Barack Obama wins and I'll never have to find out.

6 comments:

Ty said...

Let us all HOPE that we never have to find out. Its a sad state when we have to hope that the candidate we see on the campaign trail is different from that in office. Isn't it usually the other way around? I think that should be further evidence that McCain is not the man you thought you knew. And that willingness to get the job done, goes so far as to accuse a fellow senator of being a terrorist...there have to be limits, there is always a price, and lets hope that his penance will be to loose the race for President.

Erik Grell said...

What do you all think about voting third party...? After all, Obama is quite inexperienced...

Ty said...

I think that would be one of the biggest mistakes that you could make for yourself and your country.

Itd almost be better to not vote, at least you wouldn't look stupid.

Kevsnare said...

I think it would be great if America had more than 2 viable political parties. I don't think that's something that will happen any time in the foreseeable future though. I don't view Obama's relative inexperience as a negative anyway. I think I voted against George Bush more than I voted for John Kerry four years ago. That's the not the case this time. I believe Barack Obama will be a transformational figure in American politics. Besides, I can't accept anyone's argument about Obama's inexperience given John McCain's running mate. Given McCain's age, you have to scrutinize his running mate's experience and qualifications even harder than you would most VP picks.

Erik Grell said...

I agree. I am just trying to be contrarian...you know how I am. I already voted for the big O.

Kevsnare said...

Yeah, I figured you would vote for him. You just like to stir things up whenever you can.